Friday, May 13, 2011

A new species of flora








I've started this new blog for my latest art series, gelatin flowers. I've developed, over 23 years of making Jell-O Art, a technique for making gorgeous, seductive flowers out of dried gelatin.

The variations seem endless, the colors brilliant, and it's so much fun I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I'm there in the photo on my birthday, with my special hair ornament.

Also shown are a few of the roses on apple branches, of which I've made about a dozen and a half now, and a closeup or a few of some of the orchids. I'm working on irises now, and a mermaid or two, and will be making fairies, many other types of flowers, and who knows what else.

I've written many posts about the process and my exhibit in the annual Jell-O Art Show that happened April 2, 2011, at Maude Kerns Art Center, over in my blog divinetension. That blog includes other thoughts about Saturday Market, where I sell every weekend, and other things happening in my little life, but this one will be exclusively for the jello art.

After 23 years, it was just a brilliant flash of an idea to try to sell this art. It seems to be working. Every week I spend many hours explaining the process and convincing incredulous folks that it is indeed not glass, not plastic, but gelatine. Except for the dye, the flowers are 100% gelatin and water. My cards say they are useless objects of senseless beauty, or senseless objects of seductive beauty, and that they are no longer edible. People can't quite grasp the concept, so far, but the objects are so glorious, I have sold several to people who are just as fascinated by them as I am. I'm excited to show my new ones each week, on Saturdays, and also at the Tuesday Market.

I might just be the only person in the world making and selling these right now. My living room is full of big trays of petals and leaves waiting to be jelloed together. I'm also decorating boxes for them and figuring out how to make them into headbands, pins, tiaras, and whatever else comes to mind. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment