Sunday, March 8, 2020

Is It The End?

I did not really think I would be around for the end times, but I am re-thinking that. Sure, it's dramatic, but this could actually be the pestilence and economic collapse and draconian measures we've feared...NAH!

This virus is serious, but like everyone, I'm calculating my odds and measuring my denial and I feel like there is a little window before all of the shit hits the fan, and that is where I am planning on inserting my Jell-O Art lens. If we prop it up quickly and then gaze through it at all of the things that do come true, we might be able to salvage our happiness this time.

It's three weeks from today...not even time to finish all the plans I've made. Our songs are set, we're all practicing (right, troupe?) and I got out costumes and have a sort-of plan for what I'm wearing. There will be improvement as I try things on...I am comfort-eating right now so some of those little short dresses might not even fit if I split them up the back as is my go-to tactic. You make an apron out of it, and then all that matters is the front and you do something hidey in the back. No one sees your back if you are doing it right.

Today I just went through the script to see what needs to be changed, which is pretty much all of it, but it's still two pages so no problem. The song sequence will work as is. There's funny in it, though we will have more as people improvise and take on personalities for their chosen characters. All of that can be pinned down tomorrow morning because I'm trying to loosen up today.

It's a Saturday in March, one of the most precious days in my calendar. I only have one more free one after today, since my Making Jell-O workshop will be the 21st. So I just washed the dishes so I can make some papier-mache for props. It promises to be messy and something different.

I have to say I don't think I will get around to much Jell-O, even though I feel the pull. I made the t-shirt design, and the shirts are here, so I have to do those for sure. It isn't polished yet but I am pretty happy with it. Delegated the poster, lined up the sound people, oh, still have to make the Weekly and RG submissions...tomorrow.

Loosening up! Got out my kazoo. Put some dinner in the oven. Worked this morning so I have touch-up work to do this evening if I feel guilty about not being productive enough. My March workload is unbelievable...and only achievable because I am driven and aim high.

The only hard wrinkle to get past is this damn virus situation. There is a good chance that at some point, no one will want to gather in public. I think that point is still down the road a bit. But is it three weeks down the road? What will get cancelled? It's a huge question for all of us and the last thing we want to think about.

I do think I have a kind of a plan though. Obviously the whole Tacky Food Buffet as we've always done it is impractical. No one can bring anything from their kitchen. It will have to come from a hermetically sealed commercially poisoned bag. Only commercial poisons will be allowed  from here on out...all your homemade potions and recipes have to stay at home where only you and your loved ones are at risk. But that isn't a huge deal. It saves me a lot of work, actually.

So then there is the problem of the public gathering...and the submissions, and the performance, and the fundraiser, and all that. Let's just take them one at a time. So, what if you dropped off your Jell-O sculpture as planned, but we just made a rule that nobody touched anything. Everybody brings their own pens, makes their own title cards, puts their own work on the pedestal, and nobody touches anything that isn't theirs. Like in a real museum. We can easily keep three feet apart and not hug...I don't know about you, but I could do with a lot less hugging. That's why we have that Queen's Kiss, where you don't actually make physical contact with your loved one...you just smack in the other person's direction. Don't spit.

For the performance, we can't stop now...there's too much time invested and it would break our hearts. So, we could livestream it! We could put it on a YouTube channel, send out the link, (you will have to sign up or check how to find it) , and then all of you who watch will send in your contribution to Maude Kerns Art Center based on how much you enjoy it from your little personal quarantine.

Nobody has to miss a thing. Personal time at the gallery will be minimal and with full consent of those who are willing to risk their health for art. Anyone who can't risk that, can stay home but still be in on the fun. It's not ideal, but it's a lot more ideal than cancelling the whole shebang.

I don't know about you, but in my Jell-O Art heart I am still 28 and invincible and dedicated. I will do a lot to make this happen. I have the luxury of a robust immune system and as an artist I am used to taking chances for my art. I feel like I can still do my part, and also make it easier and safer for you to do yours.

So that's the plan from today. We'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks. We know there will be a lot to deal with and there will be grief and travail. But there has to be a way to still have Jell-O. There just has to be. I don't know what we'll do without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment