Sunday, March 17, 2024

Set Pieces

 Most of my time this year has been spent on making sets...our plan got a little ambitious but it is just the kind of art I like. I'm using up a lot of my saved materials like cardboard boxes, tissue paper and art papers, but I also bought a lot of art papers as a treat for myself so I could view them as replaceable and not so precious that I am reluctant to use them.

So I had a blast yesterday gluing this up on my sunny sidewalk. I love it. I'm having some issues getting it to stand up but there are still a couple of things I can do to figure that out. 

 You won't see this until the end of the performance, and it will be even more glorious but I thought the few readers who are still following this blog deserved a peek at it. Plus I just want to share my delight. 

 

This is just one of four. It's definitely the most exciting. You might recognize the Jell-O Submarine from last year's performance, which came in handy. I often recycle the props into the next set of props, kind of have to as I have a small house and I hate just throwing them away. The big Jell-O made out of plastic waste is also from a previous show. 

I have two more of the walls completed, but one is not as exciting, and we do kind of like to keep some secrets. I'll show the second one here too, though, because I can, and I'm also happy with it. There was a lot of intuition and discovery as I started with an old window shade from somewhere, and it turned out to be striped in an interesting way with varying widths of stripes, so it made a fascinating collage. Fascinating to me!


As you can see I worked all day and was in the shade at the end, though it was still hot and I am feeling so lucky to have sun for this. They're too big to really work on in the house and might also be too big to even get into a van so that will be the next challenge...how to make them transportable and also easily changed between scenes. I have plans for that...but plans are only plans. I wish this weather would last all week. The last set piece is the most complicated and my mind isn't even wrapped around it all yet. 

I tend to get a pretty complete plan in my mind before I start and then just see what happens. It's so so fun. I needed something this refreshing to balance all the other things I'm working on, which are way less fun.

My Jell-O piece is coming along, but slowly. Am getting less ambitious about that as the days dwindle...a lot to do this week! Tech rehearsal is Friday! The Jell-O Art Show is Saturday! Yikes!







No comments:

Post a Comment